Irish union criticises ‘disappointing’ IASS benefit cuts

first_imgCuts proposed to the benefits paid by the Irish Airlines Superannuation Scheme (IASS) have been criticised by a union for their “very significant adverse effects” on members.Speaking out after trustees of the IASS reportedly briefed both union and management on their attempts to resolve the €769m deficit within the multi-employer scheme, covering workers employed by the Dublin Airport Authority and Aer Lingus, IMPACT said it and other unions were “very disappointed at the analysis presented”.IMPACT said: “The trustee reported that the Pensions Board decision to reject elements of the proposals to deal with the funding deficit, which were brokered by the Labour Court and agreed by unions and management at the two companies, would have very significant adverse effects on the pensions of current workers and deferred pensioners.“The union group will now seek advice from its advisers before deciding how to proceed.” The trustees of IASS declined to comment on the negotiations.Attempts to address the deficit were stalled by Ryanair, a major shareholder in rival Aer Lingus, threatening court action if the flag carrier attempted to pay the IASS any additional monies above the agreed contribution rate.However, following a ruling by the UK’s Competition Commission, Ryanair could be forced to sell down its nearly 30% shareholding, leaving it with only a 5% stake in the company.A funding proposal discussed, but not submitted, to the Pensions Board earlier this year was questioned by the regulator, as it would have taken the scheme too long to achieve full funding.Aer Lingus nonetheless hopes to put a €140m plan to launch a standalone defined contribution fund for members affected by the benefit cuts to its shareholders during an extraordinary general meeting later in the year.last_img read more

Super Eagles Chance: Hard work will do the magic for me -Dessers

first_imgNigeria born Heracles forward Cyriel  Dessers is banking on hardwork to earn a place in the Nigerian national team. The 25 year old product of Nigerian father and Belgian mother, believes playing for Nigeria will boost his soccer career noting however that invitation to any national team does not come a platter. In a recent interview with BBC Sport, Dessers who is currently in contention for highest goal scorer in the Dutch Eredivisie with 14 goals to his credit this season said it will take increased effort, determination and focus with a view to ‘having your effort speak for you’ The former NAC Breda and FC Utrecht forward revealed that he is in contact with the Nigeria Football Federation even as he hopes to get the attention of super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr. Cyriel Dessers in action for his club Heracles Dessers who committed his allegiance to Nigeria in December however added that remaining focused now is the most important thing for him as action most times speaks louder than voice.Advertisement FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 “I know it’s a strong ambition of mine, but sometimes you need to stay focused and not get distracted as a professional footballer. He continued: “Everyone in the family is hoping – and to be involved with Nigeria would be incredibly amazing for my career, but I’ve got to keep proving myself first,” he added. “To get a chance to stand at the door is a step forward. You start every day hoping for success at club level. If you keep working hard, hopefully you make some life goals come true, “he enthused. Read Also Dutch legend sent packing by PSV Eindhoven Dessers who scored the only goal in Heracles lone goal defeat of Ajax in the Eredivisie on Sunday will be hoping to get back into the score sheet when Heracles face ADO Den Haag away on Saturday. Heracles are 9th on the 18-team Eredivisie with 32 points in 24 matches played so far. Expectant Dessers can only continue working hard for his club while hoping that the his names gets a mention when the Super Eagles resume their campaign in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers with home and away clash with Leone Stars of Sierra Leone. Loading… Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThe 18 Most Visited Cities In The World10 Completely Unexpected Facts About The US President’s DaughterThis Is Why Plus-Size Models Should Always Be An Inspiration7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldLook Up At The Most Fascinated Ceilings In The World13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hootTop 10 TV Characters Meant To Be IconicYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoolast_img read more

Connersville sanctuary earns statewide honor

first_imgConnersville, In. — Indiana Audubon’s Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary received dedicated nature preserve status at the Indiana Natural Resources Commission’s bi-monthly meeting this week in Indianapolis. The commission’s approval makes the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary the 287th dedicated nature preserve in the state system.The Mary Gray preserve, southwest of Connersville, is a 38-acre portion of the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary. The site is included in Alton Lindsey’s “Natural Areas in Indiana.” Research is being conducted at the preserve by bird banding during the spring and fall migration of the Northern Saw-whet owl and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. The site also hosts the annual Hummingbird Migration Celebration on August 11.  A turtle population research project has also been in progress since 1985.Owned and managed by The Indiana Audubon Society and located approximately one hour east of Indianapolis, the preserve consists of a high-quality mesic upland forest with a showy spring wildflower display. The forest is dominated by sugar maple and tulip tree. These community types, along with their component flora and fauna, contain many species that are area-sensitive forest-interior plants and animals that depend upon large, unfragmented forest ecosystems.To learn more about the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary and preserve, or Indiana Audubon and to search for programs near you, visit them on the web at www.indianaaudubon.org.last_img read more

Region One win softball title at Heritage Games

first_imgREGION ONE are champions of the 2019 Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs Heritage Games softball competition after defeating Swan (Region Four) by six wickets in the grand finale yesterday afternoon at the Everest Cricket Club ground.Region One won the toss and opted to bowl first. Led by Temica Wilson, Swan, who had defeated defending champions, St. Cuthbert’s Mission, in the previous round, were able to muscle their way to 88-4 before their 10 overs expired.Wilson finished with 37 runs after she smashed two sixes and three fours. Abigail Scott, who has also batted well, supported with 14.Candacy Benjamin was the pick of the bowlers with two wickets, while Shenell Wilson and Annalisa Vincent nabbed one wicket each. The multi-talented Wilson, who bowled and caught Letisha Jordon in the third over of the game, has been outstanding in the field, during the 2019 competition.In reply, Moruca reached their target in 7.4 overs after Marva Benjamin struck seven fours in a top score of 45.Although the opener lost four teammates, she played her shots to ensure a Moruca victory.Wilson, who blasted two sixes, finished on 12, while Vincent finished on 11 after hitting a four and a six. Candacy, who played a supporting role, ended with nine singles.Wendy Leacock was the pick of the Swan bowlers with 2-20.last_img read more

Calls for protection for club players in next years fixtures schedule

first_imgThere are calls for club players to be protected in next years fixture schedule.Former Tipp U21 hurling manager and current chairman of Cashel King Cormacs TJ Connolly was speaking to Tipp FM after they beat Boherlahan in the county junior B football final over the weekend.TJ says its important that club players get games during the summer and that those who go to America for the summer don’t play more hurling than the teams left at home Photo: Tipperary GAAlast_img

Ekiti Judicial Panel to Evaluate Projects Executed by Fayemi

first_imgVictor Ogunje in Ado EkitiFor the purpose of ascertaining whether there was massive corruption in the execution of projects executed by the administration of former Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, Justice Silas Oyewole-led judicial panel will thursday conduct a fact-finding visit to projects inaugurated by the government.At wednesday’s proceedings, Oyewole urged all the parties and their counsel to be part of the project inspection tour which he said would commence at 12 noon. This assessment tour was based on the testimony of a witness, Adedayo Ajobiewe, who told the Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing the management of the state funds between October 2010 and October 2014 that a total of 71 contracts were terminated during the period under review.The panel is investigating how the immediate past administration led Fayemi spent the state allocations that accrued to the state and how same were spent on projects during his four-year tenure.Ajobiewe, who is the Director of Cabinet Matters in the Cabinet and Special Services Department of the Governor’s Office, disclosed that a total of 55 contracts were either varied or reviewed within the period.He told the panel that between the period under review, the state Tenders Board approved 1,035 briefs which include 909 contracts with 71 of them terminated and 55 varied or reviewed.Ajobiewe said: “There are some reasons for terminating contracts, it may be because the contractor does a shoddy job, and a contract can be terminated if a contractor abandons the project.“If this happens, joint measurement will be carried out by the representatives of the contractors, Bureau of Public Projects and the Client Ministries.“Our office only approves and when joint measurement is done, legal advice will be sought from the Ministry of Justice. My office plays no role in the variation of contracts, state Tenders Board approves variations done by Client Ministries.”Meanwhile, Access Bank and the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), in their testimony, said the bank withdrew a sum of N852, 936,713.92 million from UBEC and not Fayemi as being claimed.The fund was a counterpart fund to finance projects being carried out by the state government through the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), and was withdrawn by Access bank, alleged to have been mismanaged by Fayemi.An official of the Access bank, Kayode Adejuyigbe, told the panel that the bank took the decision to withdraw the N852 million counterpart fund because government did not fulfill some terms in the loan.Adejuyigbe, who is the Branch Manager of Access Bank, Secretariat Road, Ado-Ekiti, told the panel that the bank paid N71,704,020.00 being refund of excess interest charged on fund into the account of the state government.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Sergio Ramos: I did not get booked deliberately

first_imgSergio Ramos has laughed off suggestions that he picked up a yellow card on purpose in the first leg of Real Madrid’s 3-0 Champions League quarter-final win against Galatasaray.The Spaniard went into the referee’s book in the closing stages of the encounter for kicking the ball away after play had been stopped, but the 27-year-old has insisted that he was not after a booking in order to pick up a suspension.“The referee gave a free kick on the edge of the box, but it wasn’t a foul,” the defender was quoted as saying on the club’s official website.“It was a situation that angers you because you don’t want to concede any goals and it was a dangerous situation on the edge of the box that could have complicated matters.”Ramos then went on to stress that he thinks Madrid are on track to make it to the Champions League final after beating Galatasaray 3-0 in the first leg.“We have a special fondness for this competition and it has been years since we last won,” he continued. “We haven’t made it yet but we’re on the right track to get through to the final, without wanting to underestimate anyone because our first priority right now is concluding this quarter-final.”The second leg takes place in Istanbul on April 9.last_img read more

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Nelson Blueliners

first_imgThe hockey season may be over for some — farewell Blackhawks — but it’s never too late to highlight a local team that continues to shine on the ice — the Nelson Blueliners. The women’s hockey team finished second at the annual Icebreaker tourney after claiming the top prize the week before in Vernon. Management at Mallard’s Source for Sports would love to honour the Blueliners with Team of the Week accolades. The team includes, back row, L-R, captain Loreli Dawson, Jessie Tovey, Deb Morris, Chelsea Mathiessen, Cat Gracey, Kathleen Dempster, Justine Thielker, Shannon Sargent and coach Rob Wright. Front, Frances Maika, Magali Holt-Lachance, Genevieve Lachance, Gerri Stillwell (goalie), Yannick Holt-Lachance (front), Branwen Hainsworth and Rachel Holt.last_img read more

The Netherlands-Spain duel, suspended by the coronavirus

first_imgThe cancellation of all events bringing together more than 100 people in the Netherlands has been decreed. For this reason, it is also advised that amateur associations “do not organize training sessions, friendly matches or other large gatherings.” All this added to the cancellations of the aforementioned events. ⚠ OFFICIAL | The friendly Netherlands – Spain canceled at the Johan Cruyff Arena as a preventive measure before the advance of COVID-19 pic.twitter.com/xUa5ugI2jw– Spanish Soccer Team (@SeFutbol) March 12, 2020 The Dutch Football Federation -Knowledged as KNVB in the Dutch country- has suspended all competitions until March 31. All matches, both professional and amateur, have been postponed until further notice in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Also the friendly between the Netherlands and Spain, which was to take place at the Johann Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam on Sunday, March 29, at seven in the afternoon. The KNVB itself and the Twitter account of the Spanish National Soccer Team have announced itIn addition to the match against La RojaThe tulip country team also had an engagement against the United States on March 26 at the Philips Stadion in Eindhoven. Meetings of the U17 and U19 teams have also been canceled, both male and female.This decision has been taken earlier today by the KNVB. Its director, Eric Gudde, has argued that “they have always followed in their policies the express requests of the government and this time is no different.”last_img read more

Asian Games: Dormitorio crashes out of medal race in cross-country cycling

first_imgMOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Dormitorio got the headstart before the two Chinese riders gained steam.The crash came through the 4.5-kilometer mark. Doctors believe Dormitorio suffered a sprained quad.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES View comments Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Filipino Ariana Dormitorio blew a golden opportunity to win medal in the women’s cross-country cycling in the 2018 Asian Games in Subang, Indonesia Tuesday.Ranked No. 1 in the 12-rider field, Patrice stumbled in the second of the five-lap race and sustained a left thigh injury that forced her to recover at the medical tent.ADVERTISEMENT Taekwondo jin Lopez goes for shot at gold vs Chinese in semis ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial beginscenter_img “I’m somehow disappointed,” said Dormitorio, who is ranked 100th in the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI). “Luck was not with me today.”Yao Bianwa and Li Hongfeng of China finished first and second, respectively.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“The Philippine rider was strong and I am lucky to win,” said the unranked Yao, who clocked one hour, 20 minutes and seven seconds.Li crossed the finish line four minutes after her compatriot while Natalie Panyawan of Thailand crossed the finish line with a time of one hour, 26 minutes and 11 seconds to win the bronze medal. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Peza offers relief to ecozone firms Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anewlast_img read more