Oct 6, 2005 CIDRAP News article “HHS to buy two anthrax drugs for testing” The HHS had previously awarded Cangene and another company, Human Genome Sciences, Inc., of Rockville, Md., contracts to test two experimental anthrax drugs. “Our first line of defense against anthrax is antibiotics,” said HHS assistant secretary for public health emergency preparedness Craig Vanderwagen, MD. “While additional studies are underway to determine its efficacy and ultimate role in treatment, AIG may have the potential to provide physicians with a source of human antibodies against the anthrax toxin that could improve the management of patients with the life-threatening toxemia associated with severe anthrax.” B anthracis is classified as a category A bioweapon. Anthrax spores sent through the US mail in the fall of 2001 caused 22 cases of anthrax,11 cutaneous and 11 inhalational. Five patients with the latter form died. The source of the anthrax has never been identified. Jul 28 HHS press release on adding AIG to the national stockpilehttp://archive.hhs.gov/news/press/2006pres/20060728.html See also: Jul 31, 2006 (CIDRAP News) The US government announced Jul 28 that it will add 10,000 courses of anthrax immune globulin (AIG) to the strategic national stockpile. Toxins produced by the anthrax bacteria are believed to be a major cause of mortality in infected patients. The HHS says AIG is a potentially promising addition to the options physicians have to prevent and treat anthrax infections. In a press release Jul 28, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said it awarded a $143,833,719 contract to Cangene, based in Winnipeg, Man. Deliveries of AIG, used to prevent or treat inhalational anthrax cause by Bacillus anthracis, to the stockpile are expected to begin in 2007. Full payment to Cangene hinges on the product being approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA); however, the contract permits delivery of the product before FDA approval in an emergency.
Batesville, In. — Margaret Mary Health, in conjunction with Hoxworth Blood Center, is hosting a blood drive on April 2 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in a donor bus outside the hospital.All donors must be at least 17 years old and weigh a minimum of 110 pounds. A photo ID is required the day of donation, and donors are strongly encouraged to eat a good meal and drink plenty of water or juice before donating.To schedule your appointment, call (800)830-1091 or click here.
RTÉ has announced that between 250 and 300 people will have to leave the organisation after they recorded a €20 million deficit in 2016.RTÉ’s Director General Dee Forbes says that RTÉ’s “financial situation is precarious and the organisation has to make sure that it is relevant and part of Irish culture and Irish life.”Forbes announced details of the redundancy and early retirement package at a meeting in RTÉ yesterday. It was outlined that those with more than ten years of service to the station will be entitled to six weeks pay per year of service capped at 104 weeks and statutory redundancy. Those with under ten years of service will be offered two weeks pay per year of service as well as statutory redundancy.Those who leave will not be able to work with RTÉ again on a contract or freelance basis.Forbes told RTÉ News that job cuts and increasing the TV license fee will not “solve all of RTÉ’s financial problems.”RTÉ cite Brexit as one of the largest issues facing the company. Up to 300 job losses as RTÉ record €20m deficit was last modified: September 1st, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dublinjob losses?RTE