Oct 6, 2005 CIDRAP News article “HHS to buy two anthrax drugs for testing” The HHS had previously awarded Cangene and another company, Human Genome Sciences, Inc., of Rockville, Md., contracts to test two experimental anthrax drugs. “Our first line of defense against anthrax is antibiotics,” said HHS assistant secretary for public health emergency preparedness Craig Vanderwagen, MD. “While additional studies are underway to determine its efficacy and ultimate role in treatment, AIG may have the potential to provide physicians with a source of human antibodies against the anthrax toxin that could improve the management of patients with the life-threatening toxemia associated with severe anthrax.” B anthracis is classified as a category A bioweapon. Anthrax spores sent through the US mail in the fall of 2001 caused 22 cases of anthrax,11 cutaneous and 11 inhalational. Five patients with the latter form died. The source of the anthrax has never been identified. Jul 28 HHS press release on adding AIG to the national stockpilehttp://archive.hhs.gov/news/press/2006pres/20060728.html See also: Jul 31, 2006 (CIDRAP News) The US government announced Jul 28 that it will add 10,000 courses of anthrax immune globulin (AIG) to the strategic national stockpile. Toxins produced by the anthrax bacteria are believed to be a major cause of mortality in infected patients. The HHS says AIG is a potentially promising addition to the options physicians have to prevent and treat anthrax infections. In a press release Jul 28, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said it awarded a $143,833,719 contract to Cangene, based in Winnipeg, Man. Deliveries of AIG, used to prevent or treat inhalational anthrax cause by Bacillus anthracis, to the stockpile are expected to begin in 2007. Full payment to Cangene hinges on the product being approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA); however, the contract permits delivery of the product before FDA approval in an emergency.
Unai Emery convinced Dani Ceballos to join Arsenal in personal phone call Dani Ceballos is set to join Arsenal on loan (Picture: Getty)Real Madrid starlet Dani Ceballos has decided to complete a loan move to Arsenal this summer after Unai Emery persuaded the midfielder to join over the phone, according to reports in Spain.Zinedine Zidane warned Ceballos that he could be set for another season on the substitutes bench should he remain at Madrid and the 22-year-old has been attracting strong interest from the Premier League.While Tottenham were favourites for Ceballos’ signature earlier this summer, it appears the Spain international will be playing his football in the red half of north London next season.El Confidencial claims that Ceballos is ‘a foot and a half’ at Arsenal after Emery personally intervened to get a deal over the line for the highly-rated youngster.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe report claims that Emery, ‘obsessed’ with signing Ceballos, rang his compatriot up and told him that he would be a key part of Arsenal’s plans should he complete a switch to the Emirates.Ceballos greatly appreciated the gesture and is attracted to the prospect of playing under Emery despite Arsenal missing out on Champions League qualification.Asked about the rumours on Arsenal’s pre-season tour, Emery replied: ‘I don’t want to speak about the names but Ceballos is a very good player.’ Comment Ceballos impressed as Spain won the 2019 European U21 Championships (Picture: Getty)Though Arsenal only have £45million to spend on new recruits this summer, Emery insists the club are looking to sign ‘very big, very expensive’ players.‘Our target is to achieve three, four players to really improve our team and squad now,’ he said.‘We are being very demanding and we are also first speaking about the possibility to sign very big players, very expensive.‘The first player in our list is the first target and after, if we cannot have that then [we try to sign] the second, but thinking every time that they are going to improve our team.’More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesKieran Tierney remains on Arsenal’s radar despite two failed bids for the Celtic left-back and Emery confirmed that he’s in been in close contact with the club over his targets.‘We are having a lot of meetings with the club, with [technical director] Edu, also with Josh and Stan Kroenke in Denver,’ he said.‘We have a very clear idea: to sign the players who can help us with a good performance and in the positions we need.’MORE: Why William Saliba chose to sign for Arsenal instead of Tottenham Advertisement Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 18 Jul 2019 2:59 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link6kShares