Feb 16, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today reported “encouraging progress” on development of H5N1 avian influenza vaccines, while cautioning that global capacity to make the vaccines remains very limited.Following a 2-day meeting of vaccine experts in Geneva, the WHO said new vaccines aimed at various strains of H5N1—considered the likeliest candidate to spark a flu pandemic—look promising.”For the first time, results presented at the meeting have convincingly demonstrated that vaccination with newly developed avian influenza vaccines can bring about a potentially protective immune response against strains of H5N1 virus found in a variety of geographical locations,” the WHO said in a news release.”Some of the vaccines work with low doses of antigen, which means that significantly more vaccine doses can be available in case of a pandemic,” the agency added.However, the statement continues, “WHO stresses that the world still lacks the manufacturing capacity to meet potential global pandemic influenza vaccine demand as current capacity is estimated at less than 400 million doses per year of trivalent seasonal influenza vaccine.” The current world population is more than 6 billion.Sixteen companies from 10 countries are developing prototype pandemic flu vaccines against H5N1, the WHO said. Five of those companies also are developing vaccines against other avian flu strains, including H9N2, H5N2, and H5N3. More than 40 clinical trials have been completed or are under way, most of them involving healthy adults. But some companies have begun clinical trials in children and the elderly.So far, all the vaccines were safe and well tolerated in the groups tested, the agency said. Most of the companies are using vaccine strains corresponding to H5N1 viruses provided by WHO collaborating laboratories.Because pandemic flu viruses are products of constant evolution, no one knows how well any of the prototype vaccines under development would work against a pandemic H5N1 virus, but experts hope that the vaccines would provide some protection. Once a pandemic strain emerges, it is expected to take at least 6 months to produce a vaccine precisely matching it.Today’s statement strikes a different tone from that of a report on flu research released by the WHO last November. That report, based on a meeting of 22 scientists in September, said vaccine developments at that point did not look promising. One problem cited was that H5N1 viruses had branched off into a number of different subgroups, and vaccines that worked well against one subgroup did not work well against others.The November report also said many fundamental questions about H5N1 vaccines remained to be answered. Because of the many unknowns, the report cautioned governments against stockpiling pre-pandemic vaccines. Today’s brief statement does not mention stockpiling.The WHO meeting drew more than 100 flu vaccine experts, who heard and discussed information on more than 20 projects. The aim was to review progress in vaccine development and reach a consensus on future priorities. The meeting was the third of its kind in 2 years, the WHO said.The statement does not give an estimate of how many doses of H5N1 vaccines have been made so far, and further information was not immediately available.In 2006 the WHO launched its global pandemic influenza action plan, a program expected to cost $10 billion over 10 years, the statement noted. One goal of the plan is to enable developing countries to build their own flu vaccine production facilities.In launching the program last October, the WHO called for an urgent effort to boost vaccine production capacity and develop better vaccines, while cautioning that it would take 3 to 5 years for the effort to bear fruit.See also:Feb 16 WHO statement on vaccine developmenthttp://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2007/np07/en/index.htmlNov 2, 2006, CIDRAP News story “WHO report calls H5N1 vaccine stockpiling premature”Oct 23, 2006, CIDRAP News story “WHO seeks urgent push for pandemic flu vaccines”
“It is one of the key priorities of the German (EU) presidency to establish a high degree of unity” among the remaining 27 member states regarding the talks, Roth added. Britain followed through on the results of a deeply divisive 2016 referendum and left the EU after almost half a century of integration on January 31.It remains bound by the bloc’s rules until December 31 pending the outcome of negotiations about its future relationship with its largest trading partner.But with the pandemic wreaking havoc on the timetable, fears are growing that time is running out fast to secure an agreement that could prevent a messy exit. Since Germany took over the presidency of the EU on July 1, Chancellor Angela Merkel has repeatedly warned that the bloc must prepare for the possibility that talks could collapse.The likelihood of failure increased dramatically this week when the British government admitted its new bill governing post-Brexit trade in Britain and Northern Ireland breaks international law.Roth and Beaune said their governments were determined to stick to their principles even as the prospect of a “hard Brexit” and an accompanying economic blow loomed amid a disastrous pandemic.”We are taking a constructive but firm approach,” Beaune said. Topics : ‘Proceed in good faith’ London has set an October 15 deadline for a deal even though chief negotiators have warned that an agreement lies out of reach because of gaps in major areas such as fishing rights and fair competition rules.Beaune said the ball was now in the UK’s court to head off a calamitous no-deal departure.”It’s up to the UK to say whether it wants — beyond speculation and rumors — to leave without an EU deal, which would not be good for the EU but even less so for the UK,” he said.He pointed to the Withdrawal Agreement, which he said provided the “framework” for an accord on the future relationship.”We must stick to its principles and now speed up the negotiations on the substance and details regarding the implementation” of the declaration, he said, adding that he refused to believe “one of the parties would walk away from this agreement”.Both Roth and Beaune said their governments wanted to maintain “strong ties” with Britain.”For that to happen, you obviously need both sides to uphold what they already agreed and proceed in good faith with negotiations on a future relationship,” Beaune said.”We want a deal,” he stressed. “That is the position of France and the EU.” Germany and France pledged to maintain a firm, united front in talks with Britain on its future relationship with the EU as Brexit talks enter a rocky new phase, their ministers for Europe told AFP.After Britain’s bombshell announcement that it would intentionally violate its EU withdrawal treaty on the road to its divorce from the bloc, the Franco-German powerhouse said it was on the same page.”The French position is also the German position — that is namely the EU position,” Germany’s state minister for European affairs Michael Roth said in a joint interview with his visiting French counterpart Clement Beaune.
Unai Emery convinced Dani Ceballos to join Arsenal in personal phone call Dani Ceballos is set to join Arsenal on loan (Picture: Getty)Real Madrid starlet Dani Ceballos has decided to complete a loan move to Arsenal this summer after Unai Emery persuaded the midfielder to join over the phone, according to reports in Spain.Zinedine Zidane warned Ceballos that he could be set for another season on the substitutes bench should he remain at Madrid and the 22-year-old has been attracting strong interest from the Premier League.While Tottenham were favourites for Ceballos’ signature earlier this summer, it appears the Spain international will be playing his football in the red half of north London next season.El Confidencial claims that Ceballos is ‘a foot and a half’ at Arsenal after Emery personally intervened to get a deal over the line for the highly-rated youngster.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe report claims that Emery, ‘obsessed’ with signing Ceballos, rang his compatriot up and told him that he would be a key part of Arsenal’s plans should he complete a switch to the Emirates.Ceballos greatly appreciated the gesture and is attracted to the prospect of playing under Emery despite Arsenal missing out on Champions League qualification.Asked about the rumours on Arsenal’s pre-season tour, Emery replied: ‘I don’t want to speak about the names but Ceballos is a very good player.’ Comment Ceballos impressed as Spain won the 2019 European U21 Championships (Picture: Getty)Though Arsenal only have £45million to spend on new recruits this summer, Emery insists the club are looking to sign ‘very big, very expensive’ players.‘Our target is to achieve three, four players to really improve our team and squad now,’ he said.‘We are being very demanding and we are also first speaking about the possibility to sign very big players, very expensive.‘The first player in our list is the first target and after, if we cannot have that then [we try to sign] the second, but thinking every time that they are going to improve our team.’More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesKieran Tierney remains on Arsenal’s radar despite two failed bids for the Celtic left-back and Emery confirmed that he’s in been in close contact with the club over his targets.‘We are having a lot of meetings with the club, with [technical director] Edu, also with Josh and Stan Kroenke in Denver,’ he said.‘We have a very clear idea: to sign the players who can help us with a good performance and in the positions we need.’MORE: Why William Saliba chose to sign for Arsenal instead of Tottenham Advertisement Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 18 Jul 2019 2:59 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link6kShares
The average weekly asking rent for a unit in a capital city in Australia is $443. Photo: AFP/Greg Wood. Brisbane’s vacancy rate slipped to 3.2 per cent in March, according to SQM Research.Only Darwin has a higher vacancy rate at 3.6 per cent.SQM Research managing director Louis Christopher said asking rents were also rising in some capitals, particularly in Melbourne.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market19 hours ago“Reflecting the tight rental conditions in Melbourne, asking rents for houses were up by 1.1 per cent over the month to 12 April 2018, while asking rents rose 4.7 per cent over the year,” Mr Christopher said. “We can expect continued strong growth given the high population growth that Melbourne is currently experiencing, creating rental demand.” There are fewer homes for rent in Brisbane than a month ago, new figures show. Picture: Thinkstock.THE number of properties available for rent in Brisbane is shrinking, but it still has the second highest residential vacancy rate of any capital city in the nation.Data released by SQM Research reveals the Queensland capital’s vacancy rate slipped to 3.2 per cent in March, with 10,246 properties available for rent — down from 3.4 per cent in February.But the Brisbane rental market is not nearly as tight as some other capital cities, with Hobart and Canberra both sitting on a vacancy rate of just 0.6 per cent. GET THE LATEST REAL ESTATE NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX HERE Rental vacancy rates fell nationally in March, new research shows. BEACH BABE FETCHES TOP PRICE HOMES EARNING TWICE AVERAGE WAGE NEARLY $4M AND IT’S NOT FINISHED! But in Sydney, the vacancy rate is higher than it was a year ago and asking rents are falling as a result.Capital city asking rents rose by half a per cent nationally last month to $563 a week for houses. Unit asking rents rose 0.2 per cent to $443 a week. The asking rent for a three-bedroom house in Brisbane remains at $447 a week, while for units it stands at $366 — the same as a month ago.
Sunman, In. — Pamela Chambers has been named as the new principal at the Sunman Elementary School. Chambers most recently served as the assistant principal at the Burnett Creek Elementary School in Tippecanoe County.Chambers takes over for Cindy Morton who is now the director of support services for Sunman Dearborn Community Schools.
Charles Byrnes’ talented but fragile nine-year-old (9-4 favourite) was always travelling well in the middle of the pack and was still cruising in behind the leaders at the top of the home straight, but Carberry was keen to bide his time. The ultra-confident jockey was looking round for dangers between the final two flights and Solwhit sealed victory with a spring-heeled leap at the last. He kicked on up the run-in to score by three lengths from Holywell, with Smad Place back in third. World Hurdle hero Solwhit turned in another superb display in the hands of Paul Carberry to claim the John Smith’s Liverpool Hurdle at Aintree. Carberry said: “He was absolutely brilliant today. He travelled great the whole way and jumped absolutely brilliant. I’d say he’s nearly twice the horse today he was at Cheltenham.” The jockey was having his first ride since suffering a heavy fall at Fairyhouse on Tuesday and admitted he was unsure earlier in the week whether he would make it to the Grand National meeting at all. He said: “Wednesday morning I thought I wouldn’t, but on Thursday I felt better and thankfully I’ve progressed well.” Byrnes said: “I thought he did it very well at Cheltenham, so I was confident today, even though there were a couple of other horses thrown in. “The only problem with going to Punchestown is that the gap is quite small, but the three-mile race is the only option he has and he’ll probably go if he’s OK. He was going to go over fences at one stage, but at his age, I don’t think we’ll go that way.” Solwhit is 7-1 from 10-1 with Paddy Power to win next year’s World Hurdle at Cheltenham, where he could meet four-time winner Big Buck’s, currently sidelined by injury. Byrnes added: “He’d have to be very good to beat Big Buck’s, who is trained by a genius (Paul Nicholls), but you should never be scared of one horse.” Holywell could meet Solwhit again in the Ladbrokes World Series Hurdle at Punchestown. His trainer Jonjo O’Neill said: “The winner won easily, the others may have run below par, but he’s run a good race and we’re very happy with him. If the ground is soft we’ll go to Punchestown with him and after that we’ll leave him off. He’s in the Stayers’ Hurdle but so is Solwhit, that’s the bad news.” Press Association
Taxpayers will get a three-month reprieve to pay the income taxes they owe for 2019, but you still have to file by April 15th, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Tuesday at a news conference.As part of its coronavirus response, the federal government will give filers 90 days to pay income taxes due on up to $1 million in tax owed, Mnuchin said in Washington. The reprieve on that amount would cover many pass-through entities and small businesses, he said.Corporate filers would get the same length of time to pay amounts due on up to $10 million in taxes owed, Mnuchin said.During that three-month deferral period, taxpayers won’t be subject to interest and penalties, he said.You should still get your 2019 income tax return in to the federal government as soon as possible, especially if you’re due a refund and need cash.While the federal government is granting taxpayers a little more time, you should still check in on your state’s position.Some states have rolled out delays due to coronavirus.For more on the IRS guidelines and the coronavirus listen to 850 WFTL’s interview with tax expert Lawrence Levy from Levy and Associates.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Lawrence-Levy.mp3
ELLSWORTH — The Washington Academy Raiders ended a three-game losing streak with a 52-30 win over the Ellsworth Eagles on Wednesday. House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 admin Bio Latest Posts This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textFor the Eagles, Taylor White scored eight points.For more sports news, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. Latest posts by admin (see all) Christy Smith netted five three-pointers to lead the Raiders, and Taylor Seeley contributed 14 points in the win. Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015
PV Sindhu entered the final of World Championships for third time.Sindhu had lost to Okuhara and Marin in 2017 and 2018.Sindhu had a 3-2 head-to-head advantage against Chen Yu Fei. New Delhi: PV Sindhu came one step closer to breaking her gold medal rut in the World Badminton Championship for the third consecutive time as she defeated fourth seed Chen Yu Fei of China in a dominant semi-final 21-7, 21-14. She will meet the winner of the second semi-final which will be between Nozomi Okuhara and Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand. It was a brilliant performance from Sindhu as she showed that her improved fitness level kept her in a good stead as she aims to overcome the pain of the 2017 and 2018 finals loss. Sindhu started the match on an aggressive notewon six consecutive points as she raced away to a 8-2 lead. Chen Yu Fei tried to get in the game but Sindhu was in her elements as she continued to play solid badminton. The Indian shuttler extended her lead and maintained her serve consistently as she won the first game 21-7 in just 19 minutes.In the second game, Chen Yu Fei increased her intensity and kept in close touch but Sindhu held her nerve at crucial intervals as she took a 10-6 lead. Chen tried to bounce back and be aggressive but Sindhu calmly held on to her lead and did not yield an inch to the Chinese as the Indian put up a brilliant display of domination. The Indian shuttler held her nerve as the match reached the end and she won the final game and came one step closer to clinching the gold medal in the world championship for the first time. Sindhu had lost to Nozomi Okuhara of Japan and Carolina Marin of Spain respectively in the summit clash of the last two editions of the World Championships in 2017 and 2018. Before leaving for Basel, Sindhu was working on her fitness and she hoped that this would help her in her quest to win the World Championship for the first time. “Well, I have trained hard and I hope I can do well. I have to perform well but there is no pressure. I been working on my defence, physical fitness and also on-court skills. We do have all kinds of strokes but to improve we have to keep training. So I have to do it all the time to make myself perfect,” Sindhu told PTI in interview. “It is important to know which strokes to play at the right time, sometimes you can get tired and you can go blank but as a player you need to know which strokes to play in tough situations,” she said. Sindhu and Saina Nehwal were static at fifth and eighth spots respectively in the recently released Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings. Among the men’s singles shuttlers, Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma managed to hold on to their 10th and 13th spots in the latest rankings issued on Tuesday. highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.