NewsCommunityEducationLocal NewsTD welcomes special needs classes in Newcastle WestBy Staff Reporter – September 11, 2013 603 Linkedin WhatsApp Advertisement Previous articleLimerick gig for Bombay Bicycle ClubNext articleBack to Bruree for The Gathering 2013 Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook Print Email Twitter New special needs classes for Newcastle WestPatrick O’Donovan Fine Gael TD for Limerick has welcomed news that Newcastle West is to benefit from two new classes for children with special needs, opening this month.Both Scoil Iósaf and the Desmond College in Newcastle West are to run new classes to accommodate pupils with special needs.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up This follows an announcement by the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) that 118 new classes for children with special needs are opening this month.“I am delighted with the announcement this morning that Scoil Iósaf and Desmond College are going to be able to provide these new classes. Scoil Iósaf will run an ASD Early Intervention class and the Desmond College will run an ASD class. The provision of these classes will have a huge impact on the pupils and their families”, said Mr. O’Donovan.These new classes are catering for over 700 children with special needs in 113 mainstream primary and post primary schools.It will bring the total number of special classes to over 740 in mainstream schools nationwide catering for over 5,000 children with special needs when all classes are open.“Education is being prioritised by this Government, within extremely limited spending options. In 2011, 33 such classes were created, and this was increased to 91 last year. The additional 118 classes opening this month means that 242 special classes have been created during the lifetime of this Government – a 50% increase in the availability of special classes”, he added.Special classes in mainstream schools are one of the options available to parents of children with significant needs who cannot be educated in a mainstream class.These classes have lower pupil-teacher ratios than mainstream classes, ranging from one teacher for six pupils to one teacher for eleven pupils.The provision of these classes will mean that fewer children with special educational needs have to travel long distances to schools.
London, United Kingdom | AFP | Pep Guardiola fears his Manchester City players are not ready for the gruelling demands of the Premier League restart.Guardiola’s reigning champions host Arsenal behind closed doors on Wednesday in the second game of the Premier League’s return to action following the coronavirus hiatus.City play again on Monday when Burnley come to the Etihad Stadium and the pace does not drop until the planned end of the season in late July.City manager Guardiola is concerned about the workload his players will be subjected to, with Premier League chiefs determined to play the remaining 92 matches in less than six weeks.He told reporters in a video press conference on Tuesday that the Arsenal match would show the level of his players’ fitness after three months of inaction.“What we were worried about over the (past) three weeks is with the incredible lack of preparation, like other teams in the Premier League, not like for example in Germany or in Spain, where they worked five or six weeks,” he said.“All the teams in the Premier League, they had just three weeks or three-and-a-half weeks. We know it is not enough but it is what it is.”Guardiola said the punishing schedule, with matches every few days, was a concern, adding that he would have to rotate and use his full squad.“You can play a game after three weeks on holiday but we were two (months) of holidays lying on the sofa doing nothing much,” he added. “That is why the players are not fully fit.“But we have to start, we have to finish the season because of the damage economically for all the clubs.” Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is concerned about the demands on his players – ‘Difficult time’ –Since the Premier League went into lockdown in March, Guardiola’s mother Dolors Sala Carrio has died, aged 82, after contracting the coronavirus.“All the people who lost family or friends, it was a difficult time, but that’s why we have the family to be together, to stay strong with all of us,” he said.“The health of the people is important but at the end, the Premier League, like in Spain and Germany, decided we have to play and we are going to play.”City, who resume 25 points behind leaders Liverpool, will welcome back Guardiola’s former assistant Mikel Arteta for the first time since he took charge of Arsenal in December.The Premier League was suspended on March 13 after Arteta contracted coronavirus.“We are delighted he will come back, especially we have the feeling he is happy there. We sent a message an hour and a half ago,” Guardiola said.“It was about the wine we are going to drink after the game if social distance allows.” Share on: WhatsApp
A dog that had been trapped under air conditioning units in Marsh Harbour since Hurricane Dorian has been rescued.Using infrared heat-seeking technology mounted on a drone, a search and rescue team from Big Dog Ranch Rescue in Loxahatchee found the animal on Friday morning.Lauree Simmons, president and founder of the center, says, “They texted me and they said urgent, “We need a plane now. We had a plane there within an hour.”She adds the dog is being named “Miracle,” because, “It’s truly a miracle that he survived this long on his own.” Another dog who was trapped under the air conditioning units did not survive.Simmons says of Miracle, “Hopefully, we can find his owners. If not we’ll find him a wonderful home.” She continues, “I want everybody to know the crisis [in the Bahamas] is not over,” as there could be other dogs who are afraid to move around due to heavy equipment being used for the cleanup efforts.
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Solari: We want to retain our Club World Cup titleby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Santiago Solari says they’re in the Club World Cup to win it.Real’s squad are already in Abu Dhabi for the tournament.The Argentine said, “For the club it’s great to be here, it means that Real Madrid are Champions League champions again and it’s the trophy that we like the most.”To be in the Club World Cup again is fantastic and we hope to retain the title this year, which these great players already won last year.”It’s always important to go in to this tournament off the back of a win. The Club World Cup has already begun, we have been following it on television and now we’re happy to have arrived and turn our focus to Wednesday’s game. Until now we were thinking about Rayo, who were our previous opponent, and the only thing that has happened after has been a flight. Now we’ll concentrate and begin to prepare for the first match against Kashima Antlers.”
TORONTO – All of Canada’s Big Six banks say they will raise their prime lending rate after the Bank of Canada increased its overnight lending rate to financial institutions.Royal Bank, TD Canada Trust, BMO, and Scotiabank, CIBC and National Bank all say they will increase their prime rate by a quarter of a percentage point to 3.70 per cent, effective Thursday.The rates had previously been set at 3.45 per cent.The increase will raise the cost of borrowing for customers with loans linked to the prime rate such as variable rate mortgages and lines of credit.The Bank of Canada raised its target for the overnight rate a quarter-point to 1.5 per cent Wednesday.It was the central bank’s fourth rate increase in the last 12 months.Companies in this story: (TSX:RY)(TSX:TD)(TSX:BNS)(TSX:BMO)(TSX:CM)(TSX:NA)
6Levon Aronian2786 PLAYERELO RATING 1Magnus Carlsen2853 Source: 2700chess.com 3Vladimir Kramnik2811 7Viswanathan Anand2779 5Wesley So2794 10Pentala Harikrishna2770 4Maxime Vachier-Lagrave2807 One chess grandmaster represents the most democratic country in the world. The other supports, and is supported by, Vladimir Putin. Last night, inside the Plaza Hotel in midtown Manhattan — that urban palace and President-elect Donald Trump’s captured rook — the two prepared to do battle.The World Chess Championship has come to New York City. The tournament captured this city’s imagination once before, in 1972, when its favorite Brooklyn son, Bobby Fischer, clashed with the Soviets in Reykjavik. But this year New Yorkers can only watch, as the Norwegian defending champion Magnus Carlsen and his Russian challenger Sergey Karjakin vie for the game’s highest title. They’re both kids: Carlsen is 25 and Karjakin is 26, yet they’ve lived half their lives as grandmasters. The match is being billed as the youngest championship ever.Here in New York, the faces of chess are diverse, from the outdoor hustlers lining park tables in Washington Square or Union Square to the excellent middle school chess program of I.S. 318 in Brooklyn. But last night, at the pre-tournament Black & White Gala at The Plaza, the guests were nearly all white. Under potted palm trees and crystal chandeliers, the steak was carved and the champagne and martinis flowed, and the scene recalled a VIP cocktail hour in a Vegas penthouse suite before a heavyweight prizefight. (At least the ones I’ve seen in the movies.) 2Fabiano Caruana2823 9Sergey Karjakin2772 8Hikaru Nakamura2779 As both baby-faced competitors faced the camera flashes and microphones, Carlsen looked calm. He has reached the championship before, after all. Karjakin looked a bit lost — nervous, maybe — his voice barely audible above the reporters’ din. And indeed, despite Karjakin’s slightly earlier prodigious bloom, the consensus heavy favorite is Carlsen. He’s rated No. 1 in the world, while Karjakin is No. 9.The best-of-12 match could stretch past Thanksgiving. Game 1 begins Friday afternoon, in downtown Manhattan. My own Elo-based simulations1I simulated 10,000 matches using the players’ current Elo ratings, and assumed that they draw half of their games, which is historically what grandmasters tend to do. The methodology is similar to what I used to simulate the 2014 world chess championships. give Carlsen an 88 percent chance of defending his title. Bookmakers put his chances somewhere between 80 and 85 percent. I’ll be reporting from the match, here and on Twitter.
The Ohio State women’s swimming team practice at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion in preparation for the Big Ten Championships. Credit: Fallon Perl | Lantern reporterAfter completing its regular season just one meet shy of undefeated, the No. 22 Ohio State women’s swimming team is looking forward to taking its talents to West Lafayette, Indiana, for the Big Ten Championships beginning Wednesday.Last year, the Buckeyes finished in fourth place with a total of 859 points, claiming four individual Big Ten titles as well as one relay title for five championships overall. This was the sixth time since 2010 that OSU earned a top-five finish, and the Buckeyes’ four individual titles and one relay title made the year the most successful one since 1991.With four Big Ten teams ranked ahead of it, OSU will need strong performances by all swimmers to make a run. However, the main focus is on the factors that it’s able to control.“When you’re at Ohio State, the expectation is to put together championship teams. So, we want to compete for Big Ten titles and be one of the ten best teams in the country, but the truth is we can’t control that,” OSU coach Bill Dorenkott said. “What we can control is putting the strongest, fittest, most prepared kids in the pool at Big Tens, and who we compete against is irrelevant.”To ensure they do so, the team will be taking 25 swimmers to compete in Indiana, several of whom are returning Big Ten contenders, including senior Taylor Vargo. During last year’s Big Ten Championships, Vargo finished fifth in the 100-yard breaststroke and eighth in the 200-yard breaststroke. She will be competing in both races again this year, as well as the 100-yard individual medley and possibly a relay. This year, her personal goals are to enjoy her senior year, move up a couple of spots from last year and improve her times, Vargo said. However, her focus remains on the team rather than herself.“I’d say we’re focusing more on preparing to go to Purdue and swim as a team, not as an individual,” Vargo said. “We always go through the mantra, ‘The goal is not to win, the goal is to improve.’ Whether it’s your technique, or half a fraction of a second, or moving up two spots — go in and swim your best. Focus on the little things.”Vargo’s teammate, senior Lindsey Clary is another returning Big Ten contender who will be competing in the 400-yard individual medley, 500-yard freestyle and the 1,650-yard freestyle — all for the fourth consecutive year — at the Big Ten Championships.Last year Clary set new OSU records in all three events and took home Big Ten titles in both the 400-yard individual medley and the 1,650-yard freestyle with times of 4:03.64 and 15:49.98 respectively. She will also be competing in the 800-yard freestyle relay.Clary said she is looking forward to improving at the Big Ten Championships this year, and is hoping to inspire her teammates as well. “Each year you want to get better. I was extremely happy with how I swam last year, so I want to repeat that and hopefully swim even faster,” Clary said. “Especially to put points up for my team because I know that if someone has a good swim it inspires everyone else, so I’m hoping to be that person for the team.”In addition to Clary and Vargo, OSU has five other athletes who have posted top-10 times in the Big Ten this season including junior Meg Bailey, freshman Kathrin Demler, freshman Molly Kowal, junior Liz Li and senior Zulal Zeren.“This is a good group. They’ve done the work, they’re well prepared, and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do,” Dorenkott said. “We’re looking toward being our best for seven sessions, three and a half days in February. That’s what we want to do.”The Big Ten Championships are set to begin Wednesday evening at the Boilermaker Aquatic Center in West Lafayette, Indiana. The competition runs through Saturday evening with preliminaries beginning Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 11 a.m. Finals begin each night at 6:30 p.m.
Upper Arlington four-star shooting guard Dane Goodwin goes up for a shot against Westerville South on Jan. 24, 2017 at Upper Arlington High School. Credit: Jacob Myers | Managing EditorAn anxious state of uncertainty flows through the Schottenstein Center and anyone affiliated with the Ohio State men’s basketball team after Monday’s firing of coach Thad Matta.Before OSU Athletics Director Gene Smith announced with Matta that the program would be heading in a different direction, the two commitments for the 2018 class, Justin Ahrens and Dane Goodwin, each received a call from OSU assistant coach Greg Paulus informing them of the news.Tuesday, the three-star forward Ahrens from Versailles, Ohio, decommitted from the Buckeyes 2018 class, making Goodwin, a four-star shooting guard from Upper Arlington, Ohio, the lone commitment in the class as he awaits the hiring of a new head coach at OSU for the 2017-18 season.Damon Goodwin, Dane’s father and coach of Capital University’s men’s basketball team, told The Lantern that when the two returned home from Damon’s basketball camp at Capital Monday, the family discussed what they wanted to do. He said that Dane still wants to be a Buckeye, if he feels that the program is a good fit.“He’s kept his commitment (to OSU),” Damon said. “In Dane’s mindset, I think he wants to lay low for the next few days and see what happens and see who this guy is going to be and hopefully they do it fairly quickly.“Dane committed two-and-a-half years ago and we certainly didn’t foresee this happening at the time. We knew a little bit before it happened. But did we expect it? No. Did I expect it? Certainly not.”Dane committed to OSU on Dec. 1, 2014 as he was beginning his freshman season at Upper Arlington High School. Having committed so early in the process, Dane’s family never had to worry about going through the recruiting process with him, which Damon said he was thankful for. Now, a wrench has been thrown into that seamlessly easy recruiting cycle raising lots of questions that not only he has to find an answer to, but also other Columbus-area prospects like 2019 guard Jeremiah Francis and 2019 forward Jordan Mitchell.“The reality is this: (Dane) committed to Ohio State two-and-a-half years ago, but he also committed to Thad Matta. One of those variable is gone now,” Damon said. “Ohio State is a special place and Dane knows that. And he knows how special it can be for him. But there’s just so many question marks as of today.”Damon said that some of those question are regarding who OSU decides to bring in. Dane and Damon will evaluate the new coach’s style, what type of players he will be looking for among other factors. Damon said he has no doubt OSU will find a very good coach — one who he hopes has a lot of the same qualities Matta had.“With Dane being a 17-year-old, the last few years he kind of had it planned out where he was going to be and who he was going to be playing for,” he said. “That world has been rocked a little bit right now. It’s tough for him and tough on us as parents. There’s really nothing to do until they decide who is going to lead the program.”As of now, Dane has not had any other schools directly reach out to him, his father said.Matta’s departure was especially hard on Dane and their family given the profound impact the former coach had on them from the start of Dane’s recruitment.“I never knew (Matta) before he recruited Dane,” Damon Goodwin said. “I think Dane and I and our whole family were just kind of blown away by his sincerity. He offered Dane — you know, he hadn’t played a high school game. (Matta) saw him play in the summers. He saw him work out in the fall and when a guy like that makes a commitment to your son, that’s impressive.“As a father, I don’t know what else you would want out of a coach for your son. He’s a good man. That’s certainly the toughest part.”Jacob Myers: [email protected] and Twitter @Jacob _Myers_25
In a tough and well-fought match, Morocco lost its opening match of FIFA World Cup against its Asian counterpart, Iran, as Morocco substitute Aziz Bouhaddouz scored an own goal in injury time giving Iran their first win match since 1998.Morocco started aggressively and dominated the proceedings for first 20 minutes of the game but lost the grip on the match as the game proceeded. Bouhaddouz put the ball into his own net with a diving header at the near post in the 95th minute as Morocco defended a left-wing free-kick.The African side had wasted numerous chances in the first half and were denied later on when Iran goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand produced a fine save from Hakim Ziyech.Ali Daei wouldn’t be upset if Ronaldo breaks his scoring record Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 Iranian legend Ali Daei wouldn’t be upset to lose his record as international football’s all-time record scorer to the “great” Cristiano Ronaldo.But Iran took went with the win, and this their second time in World Cup history after a 2-1 win over the United States at France 1998.Morocco became the second African side to concede a late winning goal in the World Cup on Friday, after Egypt lost 1-0 to Uruguay in Group A, thanks to a last-minute header from Jose Gimenez.