Heathers’ Ryan McCartan on His Transformation From Disney Star to Serial Killer

first_img Star Files Age: 20Hometown: Excelsior, MNCurrent Role: An off-Broadway debut as bad boy J.D. (a role made famous by Christian Slater in the 1988 movie), who convinces his girlfriend Veronica to knock off the popular kids in Heathers.Stage & Screen Cred: Winner of the 2011 National High School Musical Theater “Jimmy” Awards; appears on the Disney Channel hit Liv & Maddie with his real-life girlfriend, Dove Cameron.“After a sh*tty day in high school, I will openly admit that I came home and said, ‘God, I wanna kill so-and-so.’ Obviously I’ve never actually killed anyone, but I had my fair share of Heathers.”“I was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at age six. Before, I played every sport from golf to basketball to tennis, but my body just couldn’t handle it—by the time I was eight, I had quit everything.”“My girlfriend Dove [Cameron] and I have become one of these Disney couples that so many young girls have a stake in. I can’t tweet about a date I’m taking her on without having a bagillion 8-to-13-year-old opinions about what we’re doing.”“I shot Liv & Maddie by day and rehearsed Heathers at night—Dove thought she’d be uncomfortable watching me simulate sex with another person on stage, but when she saw the musical, she got lost in it. Luckily it doesn’t bother her.”“When Christian Slater came to the show, I literally fell to my knees. He gave me a hug and we decided, for old time’s sake, he should try on my trenchcoat. It was absolutely surreal.”“Most of my fans are preteens. They show up to Heathers and don’t even blink twice [at the adult content]. But hey, when I was 12, I was in the car with my sister, belting the Rent soundtrack!” Ryan McCartan photographed by Caitlin McNaney for Broadway.com at Liberty Deli in NYC. View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Aug. 4, 2014center_img Related Shows Heathers: The Musical Ryan McCartanlast_img read more

Agroforestry and Wildlife Field Day

first_imgLand is a valuable resource and provides immense benefits to humans and to wildlife. Landowners, farmers or sportsmen who wish to increase the value and benefits of the that land they own, hunt or manage should make plans to attend the 2012 Agroforestry and Wildlife Field Day on Thursday, Sept. 20, 2012 at the University of Georgia campus in Griffin, Ga. On this day, federal and state government agency officials and private business representatives will gather together to present this unique educational event to attendees. The field day includes management recommendations and real-life technique demonstrations. More than 25 topics will be showcased, including:• Wildlife Opening Management• Pond Management• Management for Wild Turkeys, Doves, Quail (each separate topics)• Selling and Marketing Timber• Prescribed Burning• Cost Share Assistance Programs• GPS/GIS Use in Managing Land• Invasive Insects, Disease and PlantsAttendees will shuttle between field day topic sites via tram and will receive a take-home booklet with in-depth topic and speaker information. Registration is $25 prior to Sept. 3, 2012 ($35 after) and includes lunch. Pre-registrants will receive an Agroforestry & Wildlife Field Day ball cap. To register, call (770) 229-3477 or mail payment to Office of Continuing Education, The University of Georgia, Griffin Campus, 1109 Experiment St., Griffin, Ga., 30223.Visit www.caes.uga.edu/events/awfd/index.html for more information. Special note: CEU credits are available for several fields – see website for more details.This event is sponsored by the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and Warnell School of Forest and Natural Resources, Georgia Forestry Commission, Georgia DNR-Wildlife Resources Division, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Fort Valley State University and Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (ABAC).last_img read more

Greenpeace airship flies over Vernon: ‘Shut Down Vermont Yankee’

first_imgNorthstar Vermont Yankee,Greenpeace today flew an airship with a banner reading ‘Shut Down Vermont Yankee’ over what it calls “the risky and dangerous nuclear reactor” to send a message to Entergy, the plant’s corporate owners and potential buyers. Following Entergy’s recent announcement to sell the 38-year old reactor, as well as an unplanned shutdown after another leak of radioactive water, Greenpeace said its action drew attention to the problems facing the reactor and warned potential buyers of the risks of purchasing the plant.‘Entergy needs to stop trying to squeeze more profit out of Vermont Yankee or dump the mess they’ve created onto someone else, and instead begin preparations to permanently shut down this old reactor,’ said Jim Riccio, Nuclear Policy Analyst for Greenpeace.Earlier this week, Greenpeace sent a letter to Entergy CEO J Wayne Leonard requesting that the company stop trying to re-license and sell the reactor, and instead retire Vermont Yankee as scheduled in 2012. Copies of the letter were also sent to the CEOs of companies that have been identified in the press as potential buyers, including Exelon, Constellation, and NextEra Energy.In February 2010, then-Senator Peter Shumlin led the Vermont Senate to vote 26 ‘ 4 to deny the continued operation of Vermont Yankee. In the most recent election, Vermonters elected Peter Shumlin governor and the following day Entergy announced that it is considering selling the 38-year-old plant. On November 7, the reactor was shut down after a new leak of radioactive water was discovered. The new leak follows earlier discoveries of radioactive releases into the groundwater and soil near the reactor.‘Vermonters no longer trust that Vermont Yankee can operate safely, without accident or radioactive releases to the groundwater,’ said Mark Floegel of Greenpeace, ‘Entergy needs to stop putting their profits ahead of the safety of New Englanders, and shut down Vermont Yankee as scheduled.’ Source: Greenpeace. 11.16.2010. The Greenpeace airship A.E. Bates flies near the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station in Vernon, Vermont, with a banner reading “Shut Down Vermont Yankee.” Copyright photo by CJ Gunther taken November 14, 2010.last_img read more

My [Failed] Thru-Hike

first_imgPsychopaths lead interesting lives. I learned this one night in a Pearisburg, Va., hostel when I listened to a former biker-turned-hiker empty his vault of violent, hypersexual stories for two hours.Apparently, 1980s Berlin was the place to be if you wanted to raise hell and get away with it, but that didn’t stop George from trying to do the same in the deep South after he came back to the states. Naturally, stories about getting caught ushered in a discussion about the Catch-22 of freedom in modern America. If you do whatever you want to do, you’re free; but eventually it will catch up to you and there is nothing less free than a jail cell, so you find yourself making compromises and living a life of self-censorship and is that really freedom at all? Neither of us knew for sure. I had never thought about it that much, and he had figured out that living in the woods for extended periods of time pretty much solved the problem entirely. By the time we reached this conclusion, my head was heavy with fatigue and the realization that I had a lot more trouble to get into before I could spin yarns like the old man sitting across the kitchen table; I excused myself and went outside to pitch my tent in the front yard of the hostel. I slept deep into the next morning.After an early banquet, I rented the first motel room of the trip and spent the day eating and ruminating with my former hiking partner Matt. We had met in a Dairy Queen the previous day, after hiking apart for fifty miles. He wasted no time in announcing his plan to leave the trail and hitchhike home. It took me a while to figure out that he was serious, and I sought consolation in the bottom of a Blizzard Cup. I didn’t want to talk about his decision too much, preferring to accept the things I couldn’t change. I did, however, manage to coax him into staying an extra day in town before “yellow-blazing” back home. After a while, I decided that it was funny that either of us had even got this far.We’d only gone on a handful of backpacking trips before this one. The longest outing I’d ever done was two nights through the West Virginia/Maryland border. At the time, I considered the trek to have been one of the most miserable experiences I had ever encountered, including my 18 years of family-planned, red-blooded, look-son-there’s-a-majestic-blue-tailed-sapsucker-right-on-our-front-porch-hey-how’s-that-full-body-poison-ivy-rash-treating-you vacations. As terrible as it had been, I never enjoyed a hot shower or greasy meal more than I did afterward. Back then, three days was an eternity and 36 miles was as distant and out of reach as anything had ever been.Matt had called me a few months after the ordeal, talking madness about an attempted thru-hike of the A.T. the following summer. My hands were tied; I couldn’t budge his resolve and under no circumstances would I allow one of my best friends to show me up by going alone, so I was in. A few shopping sprees and one overnight trip later, Matt and I found ourselves on a bus destined for Atlanta. At this point, I was still betting on returning home no more than two weeks later, and looking forward to a slightly shorter bus ride home.The overnight Greyhound took 12 hours to get to Georgia, but not many people slept well. The reason for this was the operatic vomiting performed by a disheveled passenger, strategically located in the exact center of the bus. Looking back, I’m now sure he chose this precise spot for its acoustic value. He expelled for a solid three hours, only to leave both the bus and his plastic-bag receptacle (perched daintily on the seat) in North Carolina. Needless to say, morale was not at its highest as two tired, slightly nauseated hikers rode in a taxi to the top of Springer Mountain, the official southern terminus of the A.T.  After a round of picture taking, we headed out, ready to see where the trail would lead us.When we decided to set up camp eight miles later, Matt and I discussed the daily mileage necessary to complete the entire trail in the time we had. We would have to average a little over 20 miles a day, a task that seemed insurmountable. Still, we decided to give it a shot the next morning, and picked our destination, an established campground 18 miles north, lying at the end of about a mile of spur trail. By the end of the formal first day, I was tired enough to get hopelessly lost looking for the campground and Matt was dehydrated enough to convince himself that there was a good chance that I existed only as a figment of his imagination. I found him, wide-eyed, when I backtracked up the blue blazed path. Eventually, we both calmed down and set up camp nearby, vowing to know our limits in the future. And, for the most part, we would. Over the next 600 miles, we would meet a smorgasbord of people, ranging from the common, irresponsible hippie to the timeless, deranged vagabond.The first true challenge of our hike was the food conundrum; we had to carry the food. At first glance, this seems simple enough, but after a few days, it became clear that there was a distinct difference between the amount of food necessary and the amount food desired. It only took two weeks on the trail to drop 20 pounds from my normal, healthy weight.Hunger aside, it was surprisingly easy to get used to the conditions of life outdoors. It had only been the second week of the trip when I started to feed peanuts to the mice that plague every shelter on the trail, and began to completely ignore the way they tickled when they ran up and down my sleeping bag at night. Bears went from spiritual to irritating in a matter of days, and I know now that their ingenious kleptomania is matched only by their cowardice. I cannot count the number of times a bear would blunder into sight, large and intimidating, only to unabashedly flee after identifying me as a potential threat.At first, I was truly worried about them. I had heard stories about the bears of the Smokies and the way they had learned to steal food from hikers. By some miracle, the brain behind their beady little eyes had figured out that if they were to charge at any food-carrying human, the person would invariably fail to call the bluff and run. Of course, the hiker would drop their backpack in order to retreat faster, and there were several accounts of bears running around the park carrying freshly stolen backpacks in their mouths, happier than a dog with a new milkbone. Conversely, I found the furry, black creatures to be completely harmless and easily frightened until I entered Shenandoah National Park, where they have learned to be bold. I should have known they would be problematic from the start; on my second day walking through the park, I witnessed a man feeding a bear a ham sandwich from his car window. I could hardly believe the man’s lack of good sense, and to this day deeply resent not being offered a single bite.Even though my worst experience with animals was mild (I was forcibly exiled from my shelter by a gigantic rat that was tame, though very noisy), I would have been kept awake many nights had I not generally been too tired to care about anything but sleep and food. After Matt went home in Pearisburg, I really started to push myself, and soon was doing bigger mileage days. Advil became as much of a diet staple as ramen and trail mix. I cut all the tags off of my clothes and sent every single unnecessary item home. At the end of any given area, the pages in my guidebook that I had passed by were torn out and tossed in the trash. There was no room for dead weight.I hiked this way through Virginia, and kept on walking through the halfway point in Pennsylvania before I ran out of time and money and stopped. The last day on the trail, I completed the customary half-gallon challenge with a few other hikers, and then walked gingerly to a shelter two miles away from a road crossing where my mom was waiting to pick me up. I sat there and talked for a while, wrote a goodbye to everyone I’d met on the trail in the shelter log and gave away everything I didn’t need. I took their trash and gave them food, my Snickers bars, and my trail mix.When I finally left the shelter, I was sprinting. I passed a hiker who had been at the feast the night before and when he asked me why I was running, I answered as honestly as I could. I told him, quickly, that I knew if I walked, I wouldn’t want to go back home anymore. And I was right to run. I came into a clearing and touched the most northern blaze I have ever touched and ran to my car before I really realized that I was closer to Maine than Georgia. I felt sick on the way back when my car covered mileage in an hour that had taken me three days to walk.So I went back home and gained my weight back in two weeks, woke up at 6 every morning and did all the household chores I could. It was odd, being back in society; it took me a long time to get used to crowds again. I left more than one 7-Eleven when a few too many patrons milled about and I started to get inexplicably nervous. I went through a few horribly awkward interviews and kept my cell phone off. Eventually, I adapted back into the life I’d left behind just two months ago. I got a job, lost my trail-legs, shaved my beard and took showers every day. I got acclimated to groups of people and going to bed at 12 instead of 9, and tapwater gradually started to taste less and less like chemicals. I even lost most of the supreme patience I had cultivated while on the trail. My friends would tell me about their problems and I started asking them why they cared so much. I would say, “You have a house and food and water and air conditioning. Do you really think this matters?”It still bothers me that I didn’t finish the entire thing. I know that I’ll probably, hopefully, go back one day and start again. I’d like to do it while I’m young and don’t have much to hold me back from disappearing from the world for a few months, but I won’t mind doing it when I’m retired and need to get out of the house for a little bit. I don’t think I’ll enjoy the attempt any less the second time around.I’d be lying if I said I didn’t truly and honestly miss it, and not just the good times or utter lack of responsibility. I miss it because it was really nice, living hard and honest. It was nice appreciating amenities, getting excited when I had a chance to sit at all, never mind if it was on a rock or a bench that was so damn comfortable I never wanted to get up again. I miss refusing to stagnate, and most of all, I miss looking out and seeing rows of hazy blue waves.last_img read more

Kenneth Bell named to Supreme Court

first_imgKenneth Bell named to Supreme Court January 15, 2003 Gary Blankenship Senior Editor Regular News Kenneth Bell named to Supreme Court Senior EditorQuoting James Madison and vowing to bring a philosophy of restraint, First Circuit Judge Kenneth B. Bell has been named to the Florida Supreme Court by Gov. Jeb Bush.“I am excited to appoint Judge Bell to our Supreme Court, most importantly because he will bring to the court a model temperament and judicial philosophy,” Bush said at a December 30 press conference where he announced and introduced the new justice. “Judges have a really difficult job,” Bush said. “They must balance judicial independence, which is a guiding principle for democracy, with a respect for the primacy of the legislature and executive branches as policymakers. They must guard our individual rights. . . but not at the expense of our collective right to self-government. And perhaps their greatest challenge is to resist the urge to substitute their own values and policy preferences for those embodied in the law.”Bell, 46, thanked the members of the Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission and Bush and his staff for their investigations and interviews that led to his nomination and appointment. He also outlined his goal for service on the state’s highest court.“My vision is a court that promotes an unassailable public confidence in the court’s exercise of its judicial powers, and to this vision I will fully devote all of my energies,” Bell said.Asked about his judicial philosophy, he replied, “The simplest way to express it is as James Madison said a long time ago: The courts exist not to exercise the will of man, but to judge them at law.”Referring to Bush’s remarks on judicial activism, Bell was asked if he thought the courts had gone too far in some rulings.“I think there are different judicial philosophies,” the new justice said. “Mine is a judicial philosophy of principled restraint. I do not believe in activism from the courts, either from the left or from the right.”Bell, a Pensacola native, got his undergraduate degree from Davidson College in North Carolina, and his law degree from Florida State University. He went into private practice in Pensacola, doing primarily real estate work, until he ran and was elected a circuit judge in 1990.Since going on the bench, he has handled more that 27,000 cases of all types, including imposing two death penalties.Bell has also been active in community activities, especially on juvenile delinquency issues, school violence prevention, and drug rehabilitation programs.Wife Victoria accompanied Bell to the press conference, as did their four children, Bradley, 17, Sarah, 12, Stephanie, 10, and D. Reed, 8. Also at the event were his parents, Reed and Nell Bell.Bell will replace Justice Leander J. Shaw, who has served on the court since 1983. “On behalf of all Floridians, I would like to thank Justice Shaw for his distinguished service to the people of our state,” Bush said.Bell was a finalist earlier this year to replace retired Justice Major B. Harding, but Bush chose Miami appellate attorney Raoul Cantero, who became the first Hispanic on the state Supreme Court. This time Bush chose Bell over First District Court of Appeal Judges Philip Padovano and Peter Webster and Fourth Circuit Judge Waddell Wallace. Padovano and Webster were also finalists to replace Harding, while Wallace did not apply for that seat.Under the constitution, the replacement for Shaw had to come from the jurisdictional area of the First DCA.Bush has always touted diversity in his judicial appointments, and he found some diversity elements in this appointment, even though the JNC had sent him the names of four white men. Shaw was the second African American appointed to the Florida Supreme Court, and the first to serve as chief justice.Bush noted that Bell is the first justice to come from the area west of Tallahassee since 1917, providing geographical diversity to the court. (Court spokesman Craig Waters told reporters Bell will be only the fifth justice from Pensacola, and the first from that city since 1904 to sit on the Supreme Court.)And he will become the only justice with trial court experience, a trait the court lost when Harding, who was a circuit judge before joining the court in 1990, retired. “That kind of perspective, I think, is important on the highest court, given the awesome responsibility that circuit judges have,” the governor said.The other justices either had only appellate experience or came to the court directly from their law practices.For his part, Bell said he was proud to have the opportunity to continue giving back to a community and state that had given him so many opportunities, an ethic he said was instilled by his parents.last_img read more

The Quote – May 2013

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York “Don’t allow the terror to prevail.”–Sister Sanaa Nadim, chaplain of Stony Brook University’s Musilm Student Association. (Read: MUSLIM AMERICANS)last_img

FBI warns of increased BEC scams

first_img“Fraudsters will take advantage of any opportunity to steal your money, personal information, or both. Right now, they are using the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic to further their efforts,” the FBI warned in a release as it sees a rise in business email compromise (BEC) scams.The FBI noted that municipalities purchasing personal protective equipment or other supplies needed to fight coronavirus have been increasingly targeted by these scams. It also shared two recent BEC fraud attempts:A financial institution received an email allegedly from the CEO of a company, who had previously scheduled a transfer of $1 million, requesting that the transfer date be moved up and the recipient account be changed “due to the Coronavirus outbreak and quarantine processes and precautions.” The email address used by the fraudsters was almost identical to the CEO’s actual email address with only one letter changed.A bank customer was emailed by someone claiming to be one of the customer’s clients in China. The client requested that all invoice payments be changed to a different bank because their regular bank accounts were inaccessible due to “Corona Virus audits.” The victim sent several wires to the new bank account for a significant loss before discovering the fraud. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Interagency proposed rule regarding supervisory guidance

first_imgThis is placeholder text continue reading » NCUA headquarters This post is currently collecting data… ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr On October 28, the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) Board approved a proposed interagency rule codifying an interagency statement from September 2018 regarding the role of supervisory guidance. The NCUA joined the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Federal Reserve), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) in publishing the proposed rule in the Federal Register on November 5.2018 Interagency StatementNAFCU blogged about the interagency statement when it was released. The statement, which was brief, noted that “supervisory guidance does not have the force and effect of law, and the agencies do not take enforcement actions based on supervisory guidance.” The statement provided clarity on the following issues:When numerical thresholds are included in supervisory guidance to describe the agencies’ supervisory expectations, those thresholds are only examples and do not constitute requirements.last_img read more

Lost Dog Cafe packed for Mardi Gras celebrations

first_imgOne customer, Judy Shannon, says she’s been coming to this Mardi Gras celebration for 10 years and was indulging in the delicious food and music. The party went on until midnight. Lost Dog Cafe owners say they are now working on their St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. Mardi Gras, otherwise known as “Fat Tuesday,” is a day highly celebrated in New Orleans, Louisiana before the Lenten season. A jazz band moved throughout the restaurant as customers enjoyed a night of fun food and music. “My favorite part is the band.” Shannon went on, laughing with a mask on her sparkly face and beaded necklaces hanging on her, saying, “I had the crunchy fried chicken, the corn bread with the honey, the pecan pie… and I am so full!” BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — People put on their masks and beads, and indulged in the fun at Lost Dog Cafe for Mardi Gras. Lost Dog Cafe in Downtown Binghamton took on the celebrations with Louisiana-style food like jambalaya, crunchy Cajun chicken, the classic king cake, and more. Co-owner, Marie McKenna, says she’s been putting on this tradition at her restaurant for 26 years. “I was so fascinated by the tradition, it just made me want to do it up here because I think it’s so fun with the cake and the baby in the cake and I just thought it’d be a really fun thing,” said McKenna.last_img read more

Nova Gets New €5 Mln Tidal Energy Project

first_imgNova Innovation-led consortium has won a new European project, ELEMENT, that will use Artificial Intelligence to improve tidal turbine performance and accelerate commercialization of tidal energy.The ELEMENT project will incorporate Artificial Intelligence technology from wind energy into tidal turbines to deliver an adaptive control system that improves turbine performance; slashing the lifetime cost of energy by 17% and driving the tidal energy sector to commercial reality.Nova Innovation heads a consortium of 11 industrial, academic and research organizations from across Europe. Joining Nova in the project team are IDETA, Chantier Bretagne Sud, Innosea, Wood, Nortek, The University of Strathclyde, DNV GL UK, France Energies Marines, Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Catapult and ABB UK.The control technology will be demonstrated on a floating tidal device in the Étel estuary in Brittany and on a seabed-mounted Nova M100 turbine in the Shetland Tidal Array.The €5 million project starts in June 2019 and runs until May 2022. It was won as a competitive contract awarded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme. Simon Forrest, chief executive officer of Nova Innovation, said: “Reliable tidal energy generation is now a reality. It is no longer a matter of “if”, but “when” the technology becomes mainstream. The sector has taken great strides forward in recent years and our drive is now to reduce cost to compete with conventional generation.“Fortunately for our industry, many cost reduction techniques have already been demonstrated in established renewable technologies, such as offshore wind. By capturing this knowledge, we can reduce the costs of tidal energy more quickly by piggybacking on their technological advances. “The EU has a clear global lead in tidal energy. Nova Innovation is playing a leading role in making tidal energy part of the global energy transition.”Olivier Bontems, director at IDETA, added: “Within this project, IDETA will conduct a socioeconomic assessment of the potential impact of estuary, river and tidal energy at the regional, national and EU level. “As a regional development agency for Picardy Wallonia’s, IDETA has prioritized increasing renewable energy sources and improving energy efficiency. IDETA has extensive project development experience with a focus on community involvement to maximize local use of green energy. The empowering of citizens is a regulatory principle which presents a lot of advantages such as improving public acceptance, promoting local and collective self-consumption and increasing flexibility of the energy market. It is also a way to improve the integration of intermittent energy on the public grid.”Yann-Hervé De Roeck, chief executive officer of France Energies Marines, added: “France Energies Marines is very proud of supporting tidal energy development since 2012, with more than 20 R&D collaborative projects related to this promising technology, including the current ELEMENT project. Testing of the Nova turbine in the Ételriver in order to develop an innovative control technology is of major importance for French tidal energy deployments. Our institute will contribute to assess the environmental integration of tidal energy devices by measuring physical as well as biological characteristics at the Ételtest site. This will be followed by developing indicators that will be used in continuous monitoring in order to reduce the potential environmental impacts of offshore renewable energy.”last_img read more